Tuesday, July 10, 2012

'The Astronaut's Return' - translated into German


Related image

The staging of Poetry Parnassus at the Southbank Centre, and on national tour, has been one of the extraordinary highlights of the 2012 poetry calendar, and Olympic Festival. Poetry in translation is enjoying a true renaissance in Britain, it seems, with the pioneering activities of the Poetry Translation Centre (see my post of 10 May 2012) and Modern Poetry in Translation particularly springing to mind.

It’s timely, then, that only last week I had the pleasure of having one of my own poems - 'The Astronaut's Return', published in The Body in the Well - translated by my colleague at Birmingham City University, Dr Ursula Lutzky. Ursula’s home city is Vienna, and she produced a wonderfully sensitive German version, complete with intriguing options as to phrase and nuance, which we then worked on together to bring into as faithful and musically satisfying a poem as possible. It was, for me, as instructive as it was enjoyable – opening up all sorts of hidden passageways in the language of the original English poem, as it morphed into its German double.

Here it is, anyway, in both languages. Thank you, Ursula.


Die Heimkehr des Astronauten
Sie sieht vertraut aus; ja, sie ist meine Frau.
Ihr Haar ist länger; es sind Monate gewesen.
Ich denke nicht, dass sie erwartete mich wiederzusehen.
Sie spricht nicht so viel wie früher
und wenn sie spricht, so spricht sie zu einem Kind.

Ich bemerke, wie ihr Körper sich unter ihren Kleidern bewegt
und wenn sie nackt ist, im Bad oder im Bett,
wie unabhängig er ist, trotz ihrer selbst.
Wenn sie sieht, dass ich sie ansehe, dreht sie sich weg.
Wenn ich ihre Haut berühre, zuckt sie zusammen.

Die Kleidung, die sie meine nennt, passt nicht mehr.
Iss, sagt sie, bitte iss, und ich liebe dich.
Ich beruhige sie so gut ich kann. Ich sage ihr, dass
ich gerade lerne zurückzukommen. Aber meine Augen,
noch immer weit offen, glitzern wie Topas wenn ich schlafe.



The Astronaut’s Return

She looks familiar; yes, she is my wife.
Her hair is longer; it’s been months.
I don’t think she expected to see me again.
She doesn’t talk as much as I remember
and when she does she’s speaking to a child.

I notice how her body moves beneath her clothes
and when she’s naked, in the bath or in bed,
how independent it is, in spite of her.
When she sees me looking she turns away.
When I touch her skin she flinches.

The clothes she says are mine no longer fit.
Eat, she says, please eat, and I love you.
I soothe her as best I can. I tell her that
I’m learning to come back. But my eyes,
still wide open, sparkle like topaz when I sleep.


No comments: